- Cut two pieces of fabric, one stirdy for the bottom of the bag, one more thin for the top of the bag, so that the drawstring will close nicely. I cut my pieces: 32 cm by 13 cm. You can combine any size, or even take just one piece of fabric, just as long as the result is about 32 cm by 24 cm.
- If you like to add a figure, you could just take any shape and cut it out of felt. This is just optional.
- Sew or serge the two pieces together, right sides facing each other. The result is a rectangle of about 32cm by 24cm.
- Optional: pin the applique into place; account when centering/placing the applique for folding the fabric later and also for the seams at the sides.
- If you use felt, an easy way to attach the applique is by just stitching along the sides. No zigzag needed here.
- Sew or serge along the bottom and side edge
- Keep the bag inside out, fold the fabric in twice so that the edge of the fabric is in the hem.
- Sew around; make sure to leave open enough space to put a string in. It is nice to have the opening at the middle of the back of the bag. Backstitch at the beginning and the end, to fix the opening. With a safety pin you can now put in the drawstring.
- Turn the bag, the opening of the drawstring is now on the inside. Ready!